Applications for the NJ Senior Property Tax Freeze must be filed by October 31, 2018
There are several eligibility criteria:
- You were age 65 or older as of 12/31/2016
- You have lived in New Jersey, as a homeowner or renter, since 12/31/2006
- You have owned and lived in the same home since 12/31/2016
- You must have paid the full amount of the Property Taxes due on your home:
- For 2016: By June 1, 2017, and For 2017: By June 1, 2018; and
- Your total annual income must have been:
- For 2016: $87,007 or less, and For 2017: $87,268 or less. (NOTE: Income for this purpose is “all” income received, including Social Security, Pensions, IRA distributions, etc.)
If you meet all the above criteria you should file the application. You can find the forms and instructions here: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/printform.shtml
If you do not meet all of the above criteria then there is no need to file.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or reach out to your income tax preparer.